• Graduate program
    • Why Tinbergen Institute?
    • Program Structure
    • Courses
    • Course Registration
    • Facilities
    • Admissions
    • Recent PhD Placements
  • Research
  • News
  • Events
    • Summer School
      • Behavioral Macro and Complexity
      • Econometrics and Data Science Methods for Business and Economics and Finance
      • Inequalities in Health and Healthcare
      • Introduction in Genome-Wide Data Analysis
      • Research on Productivity, Trade, and Growth
      • Summer School Business Data Science Program
    • Events Calendar
    • Tinbergen Institute Lectures
    • Annual Tinbergen Institute Conference
    • Events Archive
  • Summer School
  • Alumni
  • Times
Home | Events | Sibling Spillovers on Study Choices: Evidence from Admission Lotteries
Research Master Defense

Sibling Spillovers on Study Choices: Evidence from Admission Lotteries


  • Location
    Tinbergen Institute Amsterdam, room 1.02
    Amsterdam
  • Date and time

    August 29, 2022
    12:30 - 13:30

This paper studies whether older siblings influence the study choices of younger siblings. I develop a simple theoretical model to separately identify spillover effects from shared preferences. I use Dutch random admission lotteries to medical school as a source of exogenous variation. I find that 70% of siblings’ common study choices are due to sibling spillovers, and the remaining 30% are due to common preferences. I argue that parental time and financial investment in children is likely the driving force of sibling spillovers.